Monday, January 25, 2016

Journal 2 - Louv/Nature Deficit Disorder and Orr's Biophilia Revolution


 
     Who knew nature played a huge part in how our brain thinks and functions? “Nature-Deficit Disorder and the Restorative Environment” is an excerpt from Richard Louv’s Last Child in the Woods, which discusses the connection between nature and the human brain. In the excerpt, Louv provides statistics, evidence, and his personal opinions on the matter that ends up being quite interesting for myself. Louv believes that “the concept – or hypothesis – of nature-deficit disorder is appropriate and useful as a layperson’s description of one factor that may aggravate additional difficulties for many children” (Louv 2). There have been many studies that show the positive effect of nature on people, especially children, who suffer from Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), “even replacing medications or behavioral therapies” (Louv 2). No wonder why they say, “the best way to free your mind is outdoors.”
     What is biophilia? What is biophobia? What does this have to do with me? Before taking this colloquium class, I never heard any of these two words before. “Love it or Lose It: The Coming Biophilia Revolution” is a short excerpt from the book, Earth in Mind: On Education Environment, and the Human Prospect by David W. Orr. In this excerpt, Orr discusses the topics of biophobia and biophilia. Biphobia is the “culturally acquired urge to affiliate with technology, human artifacts, and solely with human interests regarding the natural world” (Orr 187). Biophobia can “range from discomfort in ‘natural’ places to active scorn for whatever is not manmade, managed, or air-conditioned” (Orr 186-187). Biophilia, however, is defined as, “the urge to affiliate with other forms of life” and “the passionate love of life and of all that is alive” (Orr 187).

 
     Sense of place is the way a person sees, experience, and responds to the surrounding environment and landscape. I can connect my sense of place to both of the readings by Richard Louv and David Orr. Both of the readings have something in common, which is how nature can affect one’s well-being and mindset. Richard Louv’s excerpt shows me how not getting out more can cause more harm than good. The reading teaches me that nature can be a “natural Ritalin” (Louv 7) and that can keep my brain active and calm at the same time, something that is probably, also, needed for my future children. David Orr’s excerpt also influenced my sense of place because I do not want to become a biophobic. Biophobic usually happens with individuals who were raised around televisions, video games, and radios, as well as, malls, freeways, and in an urban setting, which describes myself (Orr 186). I want to become more biophilic and in tune with nature altogether. Overall, nature has a big impact on humans more than we think. Not only does nature provide me with utilities and resources, nature opens my mind and actually makes my brain stronger and more active. My sense of place with nature has changed after exploring these two readings. 

2 comments: